It is worth mentioning that sports injury does not only relate to professional players, it also includes the sports spectators as well. If you have an extreme injury from a sporting event, you may be entitled to claim for any injuries that you may experience.
To some people, sports is a hobby while others, sports is more than that because sports acts as a source of income to them. Some sports such as hockey, rugby, cricket, boxing are extremely risky, and they can warranty a compensation if an accident occurs.
For you to be in a position to sue for compensation, the injury must have occurred under abnormal circumstances, like intentional harm caused by the recklessness of the other person. There must be proof that the other person was in the wrong and an injury happened because of that.
Several factors can lead to sports injury on the player’s side, they include:
- Poor coaching – using the wrong tactics taught by the coach and cause injury to the other players.
- Violent behavior – it can happen during a game.
- Improper tackle – for example a tackle done during rugby game but done incorrectly.
- Unmaintained field- uneven or poorly maintained playing courts of fields can lead to serious injuries.
Sports injury on the side of spectators can be caused as a result of:
- Gaming equipment- for example when the balls frequently get their way into the crowd and cause a serious injury.
- Game riots- this happen when one team decides to fight the other team, and it can also lead to significant injuries.
- Poorly maintained stadiums- in this case, the injuries might be caused by the seats collapsing due to poor maintenance of the stadium.
Anybody can file a claim for sports injury irrespective of the age. The compensation could be for a broken bone, fractures, head injuries, etc. If injuries happen for either the players or the spectators because of the above factors, compensation is warranted.
The procedure for filing a sports injury claim
There is a procedure that should be followed if you get a sports injury. If the injury happens as a result of negligence, then it is your right to get compensated if you make a claim. The compensation will include the medical or any other costs that are incurred together with any injury and suffering you may undergo. The procedure involves:
- Getting treatment- it is essential that you get medical attention so that the doctor can handle your injuries and have a diagnosis filed and recorded. Visit your GP, physiotherapist, chiropractor or osteopath for starters and ask them to document your injuries.
- Note down the witnesses- You should note down the information of witnesses that were there when you got injured as a reference for your claim.
- Get a good personal injury lawyer- you should hire a personal injury lawyer to handle your sports injury compensation case. Personal injury lawyers in Melbourne can handle such kind of cases diligently.
- Present any necessary documentation- if you have any important information regarding your sports injury claim, you should give it to your lawyer. The information may include medical bills, incurred expenses, etc. These will determine how much you should be compensated.